According to the national fire protection authorities, on average, fire departments respond to home fires involving electrical safety failure or malfunction. Tragically, these fires resulted in deaths and injuries, and billions in property damage.
At Zoom Electricians, we promote electrical safety and awareness. As a part of our commitment to eliminate electrical and fire-related deaths and injuries, we have provided here some tips for home simple electrical safety you can use to prevent fire risk and danger.
- Since frayed or cracked cords can cause shock or fire, replaced old or damaged extension cords for your safety.
- Never run an extension cord under your rug.
- Never overload your extension cords.
- Only use an extension cord in temporary situations.
- Replace any receptacles that are broken, hotter to touch, sparks, or make a noise when inserting a plug, or can no longer hold a plug securely.
- Never adjust polarized plugs to make them fit into an unpolarized receptacle.
- Do not use multi-plug adapters for extended periods. Instead, add a new receptacle and circuit if needed.
- Unplug kitchen appliances when not in use.
- Make sure that all appliances are away from the sink or where there is water. Electricity when mixed with water can result in an electric shock or fire hazard.
- Remove flammable materials from your cooking range.
- Cracks, breaks in wiring, plugs, or connectors are a sign that you need to replace your electric blanket.
- Don’t allow anything on top of your electric blanket, including pets, when in use.
- Never fold your electric blanket when still on.
- Never tuck your electric blanket. Pinching the wires can cause more damage and can create a fire hazard.
- Turn off your freezer, refrigerator, and air conditioner, and flip each circuit breaker on and off three times. Do this at least once a year.
- Test your GFCI monthly.
For More Home Safety Tips, Contact Us Today!
At Zoom Electricians, we have been serving both residential and commercial properties throughout the area for years. If you are interested in having us inspect your property for any potential electrical hazards, please contact us at (833) 529-3731 to schedule a FREE estimate with one of our knowledgeable and friendly electricians from our team!