Electricity is widely used in different San Diego locations and other areas. An electrical panel must be installed to help regulate and properly distribute electricity to different appliances and outlets of your home. Zoom Electricians ensure that the wirings and other components of the electrical panel are properly in place to properly handle the amount of electricity that each appliance or different part of your home requires.
However, if your home will require changes with the electrical system, such as adding more AMP or the electrical panel reaches its old age, consider upgrading to prevent any issues from happening and accommodate your home’s electrical demands. Finding a professional panel upgrade near me is important. Hire an experienced and licensed professional to ensure that the job is properly done and follows the electrical code for safety.
Sometimes, homeowners will consider relocating the electrical panel and having it placed in a different location of their home. It could be due to the renovation they are doing or for safety purposes. Getting a professional electrician to take over and do the job is highly recommended. This task isn’t for DIY, as there are many things to consider to ensure it is done properly.
If you are planning to relocate your home’s electrical panel, you should also consider how much it would cost. This process may vary from $900 to $2000 or even higher. In this case, it is highly recommended to contact an electrician to check and help determine the costs involved in relocating the panel.
Step By Step Procedure on How To Relocate The Electrical Panel
Working with electricity can be daunting. There are different things that an electrical system of a San Diego home does. Whenever you need help with a panel upgrade in San Diego, always let a professional and experienced electrician assist you. Many things are also involved in this process, which is not best for a DIY project. This also includes the sub panel upgrade in San Diego. A minor mistake can lead to a major issue affecting your safety.
After knowing about the possible electrical panel cost, here are the steps to move the panel. Please note that only a professional electrician must do the process for safety, and it is done correctly.
- Make Sure That The Power To Your House is OFF: This is the first step that must be done to ensure safety. The only way to handle electrical wiring is to ensure no current running in the wires. Electrical shock can be quite dangerous.
- Take Off The Cover Of The Panel Box: You will secure the outer cover of the electrical panel with four or six screws that need to be removed to take the panel off. Make sure you put the screws in a safe place after removing them so as not to lose them.
- Locate The Wires Running Into Individual Breakers and Disconnect: The panel is full of breakers and wires, and you must disconnect each wire before proceeding. The goal is to remove the wires from the breakers to get the primary service wire. It is a good idea to take a picture of the inside of the panel box before you start the disconnection of the wires.
- Mark Each Wire To Denote Its Location In The Panel: Before the disconnection of each wire, take a marker and denote its location in the box. If you installed the panel box correctly, the installer should have marked each breaker on the cover. Matching up the breaker to the marking on the panel and wiring to which space it belongs will help keep track of everything when reattaching the wires.
- Make Sure Not To Remove Any Breakers: When removing the wires from the breakers, make sure not to lose any of the breakers themselves.
- Disconnect the Primary Service Line: After disconnecting each of the wires from the box, it is time to disconnect the main line. The wire and lugs they attach to are much larger than the other cables. This will need a larger screwdriver and pliers than the ones that are used to disconnect the smaller wires.
- Detach The Breaker Box and Relocate: Most breaker boxes are screwed into the wall where they are connected to. Use a drill and the right kind of bit to disconnect the panel from the wall, ensuring it won’t lose track of the screws. After detaching, refit the panel to the area of the new location. The wires are also rerouted to the new location.
When it comes to electrical needs, it is best to call a professional electrical company or electrician to ensure that it is properly done and to prevent any issues from happening once it is in use.
If you are looking for a professional electrical service company in San Diego, call Zoom Electricians. You can also check our website for more details about our services.