Extension cords are a common and convenient tool to bring power to electrical devices, especially whenever there is a lack of outlets or need to use a device just a bit farther. But when used improperly and without proper caution, they can be potential fire hazards and pose risks to your safety.
Know the hazard and how to avoid and prevent them by following these useful tips to help keep your home safe when using extension cords.
How To Select Right Extension Cords
- Buy only extension cords manufactured by an independent company.
- For outdoor, use only appropriate extension cords marked for outdoor usage.
- Longer cords, like shorter cords of the same gauge, do not take as much current, so consider the length you need.
- Choose an extension cord that has three prongs.
- For larger appliances, thick, round, low-gauge extension cords are ideal. For smaller household units, you can use thin or flat cords.
Proper Care For Your Extension Cords
- Always store extension cords indoors.
- When not using, unplug the extension cords.
- Throw away cords that are damaged and ineffective.
- When disconnecting the socket, pull the plug, not the cable.
- Heat is unable to escape and could result in a fire if the extension cord is sealed and covered.
- Don’t run an extension cord under furniture or rugs, as overtime, it will heat up and cause a fire.
- Ensure the extension cords are clear from countless people walking through it can be tripped. It will impose a health injury and damage electrical devices.
- Take special care to stop electric shock when an extension cord is used. Ensure it’s not in the water or snow because it’s crucial.
- Don’t use nails or staples to mount extension cords, as when the rubber protective layer got punctured, electricity will travel outside the wire causing electrocution.
- Never overload your extension cord, as when pushing them past their limit, your equipment is at risk of damage and will experience power surges.
If you notice any of these hazards in your home, it may be time for an electrical outlet installation rather than depend on extension cords. For assistance and all your electrical service needs, hire only the professionals at Zoom Electricians!
We have a team of licensed, insured, and highly experienced technicians that make them fully qualified to handle all your electrical needs. Also, we offer reliable electrical outlet repair, wiring repair, wiring installation, switch repair, switch installation, and more! We have been in the industry for years now, so rest assured that you and your home are in safe hands when working with us.